Friday, June 20, 2008

SP 12 Question for Week 2

Going down memory lane - what did I look forward to most as a kid?? I have to say, the best part of summer as a kit was getting shipped off to my Aunt's house. I was put on a Greyhound bus as young as probably 5 or 6 in San Jose and rode the bus (alone!!) until my stop in the cute little farming town of King City (Monterey County). My Aunt would meet me at the bus stop. She never learned to drive so we walked home - the "bus stop" really was just the bus pulling to the curb outside a little diner. Her house was about 2 blocks away. I loved spending my summers there and did so until the summer between 8th and 9th grades. She and my uncle were like second parents to me. there was a fence between my aunt/uncle's yard and my grandma/grandpa - I'd walk back and forth between the two - and then my other grandma lived a few blocks away. My grandma "M" taught me to crochet - my grandma "J" taught me to sew; and my Aunt "M" taught me to be a proper young lady, do some cooking and just be a decent person. There all gone now - these fine woman and I miss them terribly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a fabulous way to spend the summer! I hope everything with you is OK after being evacuated. -Your SP12 Pal

rita said...

I love it! I have memories similar to that. I'll have to take them out, dust them off, and leaf through them.